Re: front end camber

To: "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: front end camber
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:42:47 +0100
The Leyland Workshop Manual gives the following:

Toe-in:  1/16 to 3/32 in. (1.5 to 2.3mm) at the wheel rims
Camber:  Nominal 1 degree positive, plus 1/4 to minus 1 1/4 degrees unladen
i.e. +1 1/4 to - 1/4.
Castor:  Nominal 7 degrees, plus 1/4 to minus 2 degrees unladen i.e. 5 to 7
1/4.
King pin inclination:  Nominal 8 degrees, plus 1 to minus 3/4 degrees
unladen i.e. 7 1/.4 to 9.

Sagging springs will affect alignment, particularly if the sides are
different, and don't forget a sagging/raised rear corner will affect the
opposite front corner.  It isn't adjustable as such, except by
bashing/shimming/welding/filing to compensate for a problem such as a
front-end impact.

The rack will have no affect on alignment in the straight-ahead position.
With the wheels off the ground just one push with a finger tip should
sending it flying from lock to lock, but with the wheels on the ground there
should be no tendency for the sliding part of the rack to move up and down
at right angles to the pinion.