re: Intermittent power loss

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Intermittent power loss
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:39:24 -0400
Well, that was a couple of ideas that I hadn't expected...

First, the car has electronic ignition, so we can forget about the
distributor angle.

As for the coil, well, I'm not sure how quickly it takes the coil to "heat
up" (never checked), but I have had the problem surface within the first 10
minutes of driving, although that was after the car sat for about an hour,
so I'm not sure how "cool" it was either.

I can't hear the fuel pump at highway speeds (can barely hear the radio) so
I don't know if it's clicking.

The tach does drop when the power does, which Paul says is the ignition LT
feed, but I would assume that even if it was a fuel issue and the power
faltered that I'd see a tach drop then too, so I'm not sure I follow the
linkage between the two...

However, this gives me a few things to follow up on; unfortunately it's not
easy to reproduce which means that it won't be easy to tell if it's fixed
either, short of just saying "gee, haven't lost power in the last month",
so even if I do try the various things, I may not know which one resolved
the issue.  Doesn't matter too much, except for reasons of curiousity, as
long as something ultimately fixes it.

Thanks

- Tab