Re: Intermittent power loss

To: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Subject: Re: Intermittent power loss
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:05:31 -0500
Tab Julius wrote:

> The tach does drop when the power does, which Paul says is the ignition LT
> feed, but I would assume that even if it was a fuel issue and the power
> faltered that I'd see a tach drop then too, so I'm not sure I follow the
> linkage between the two...

Tach drop from fuel problem will follow the engine speed exactly. Tach
drop from problem in LT feed will be erratic and drop faster than engine
speed. My experience with bad LT tach drop is that it just drops
completely out and back in erratically as the LT (which feeds both the
ignition and the tach) is interrupted and reintroduced. I once actually
had this damage a tach once (bent the needle).

Another possibility to consider is that it's HT intermittence. Sometimes
you can find this by watching the engine bay as the engine runs at night
with all lights off. HT failure will sometimes be accompanied by sparks
to ground which will be visible in the dark.

-Rock     http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
"JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us