Re: brake squeek

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brake squeek
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 22:20:24 -0500
At 08:17 PM 7/6/03 -0500, MonteMorris wrote:
>.... 1100 mile excursion to Kentucky from Northern Missouri in the 67B. ....
>When I pulled in the garage, I noticed a "hot" smell coming from the front
>driver side .... I jacked up the front and  spun the wheel; it drags some
>(Barney helped me install new wheel bearings, king pins, bushings, etc.
>last summer, so they are all new).  The wheel has no wiggle when grabbed
>at the top and bottom, but shouldn't the wheel spin fairly freely? Am I
>most probably needing to add a shim to loosen it up a little (or is it
>remove a shim, I can't recall)?

Add a shim to loosen the bearing up.  But I suspect it's more likely to be
the brake pads dragging.  Unbolt the caliper and lift it off away from the
rotor.  Then spin the hub again.  If it spins freely the problem is in the
brake caliper, not the wheel bearings.  Caliper pistons are supposed to
retract slightly from flexure of the piston seals.  When the piston seals
in teh calipers get old and baked they lose resiliency, so then don't pull
the piston back as intended.  Cure for that is to R&R the caliper pistons
to install new seals.

I can't recall if we replaced the hoses, but old hoses have a tendency to
collapse internally to restrict flow, and then prevent release of the brake
after application.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com