Re: brake squeek

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brake squeek
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:48:23 -0500
At 04:32 PM 7/7/03 -0500, MonteMorris wrote:
>I have replaced all hoses since winter. Can new seals be installed by a
>novice like me?

Yes.  The only trick is getting the pistons out of the caliper.  The
hydraulic seal is a square section elastomer o-ring nested in a groove in
the cylinder wall.  Once the piston is out, just dig the old rubber ring
out of the groove, clean the groove completely of debris from the old ring,
and install a new seal ring in the groove.

One nice feature of this caliper design is that the wear and seal surface
is on the OD of the piston rather than the ID of the cylinder bore.  If the
seal surface is badly scratched or corroded, no honing or sleeving is
necessary, just install a new piston.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com