Re: Adjusting fuel level on a "fixed" float?

To: "Charles & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>, <Menno.Meijer@ict.nl>
Subject: Re: Adjusting fuel level on a "fixed" float?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:45:59 +0100
I'm not so sure that float level is all that critical for reasons I'll go
into below, but float level and jet level control two different things.
Using jet level to compensate for a different float level may give different
results at different needle heights

I had a punctured float in the V8 and hence fuel pouring out of the overflow
when away from home.  I have in-line fuses for both overdrive and fuel pump
installed by the firewall, so cross-connected the overdrive fuse to the fuel
pump which a allowed me to switch the fuel pump on and off with the
overdrive switch.  I drove with the pump off until the car started to
splutter and die i.e. the float chambers were virtually empty, then switched
on the pump for a bit less than the length of time that I had previously
noted was needed to fill the float chamber (in fact overfill) and start
overflowing.  From an overfull float chamber on one carb until they actually
emptied I noticed no difference in performance, steady driving or
acceleration.  Obviously acceleration emptied the float chambers faster than
steady driving, but even so I was surprised how far I could travel just on
what was in the float chambers..