RE: 79 B steering column

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 79 B steering column
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:44:15 -0500
>    Is this the actual steering shaft that you are asking about?  If it
> is, there should be a relieved area in the splined section so that the
> retaining bolt will fit through the clamp, pass into the relieved area
> (only) then into the other side of the clamp.  One the bolt
> is in place,
> the splined section cannot pull out of the clamp.

It's not the splined portion that is pulling out of the clamp.  Let me
give you a better visual.  Remove the bolt holding the lower shaft in
the clamp, and pull away the rack and the lower shaft.

Now give a tug to the u-joint clamp, and the works pulls out of the
firewall.

Paul says it sounds like the collapsible portion of the column has done
so, which is what I was suspecting.  It's been a bit since I examined it
all, but if I remember correctly, there are two holes in the box section
that appear to have some sort of plasticky material in them, which I
assume to be shear pins that allow the column to collapse.

So the question becomes, what do I do about it?  Is this something I can
repair, or am I looking at replacing the whole column?