RE: 79 B steering column

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 79 B steering column
From: rdusel@att.net
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:28:33 +0000
I'm going to jump in here with one little observation. I have 2 1975 B's that
both developed an annoying problem in the collapsible shaft. Both started out
normal, then at some point the steering developed a noticeable amount of play
in the column. Approximately 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch of play where the steering
wheel would move back and forth with out turning the steering rack. This would
be accompanied by a metallic clink and would become very disconcerting when
driving as you could feel the two shafts rattling around. Disassembled the
column and found at least 1 of the plastic pieces missing and no signs of any
other spacer or device to take up the play between the two shafts. So the
plastic pieces may have a role in keeping the inner/outer column shafts tight,.
In my case I repaired the column by spraying silicone into the outer, larger
column, coating the inner column with "liquid nails" adhesive (yes, liquid
nails because it hardens down to a firm, rubbery consistency) and then
inserting the inner shaft into the outer shaft. Now there is no noticeable play
and the silicone should have kept the "liquid nails" from bonding to the outer
shaft so that the callapse feature still works.
This repair so far has lasted 10 years of regular use...
Something to think about before you reassemble the column and find play down
the road when the car is re-assembled.
If anyone has any more comments on how the system works I'd be interested to
know. Maybe my column shafts were just worn out? One of the two B's was low
mileage so I didn't think it was excessive wear...

Rob
1975 B (x2)

" Right.  Just wasn't sure if the plastic was what allowed the shafts to