RE: Two Super Supercharged MGB's

To: "'Richard Rivenbark'" <rrivenbark@cfl.rr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Two Super Supercharged MGB's
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 02:27:33 -0400
Tad:

Thanks for the response.

While what you said was somewhat correct and I can't argue with some of it,
I do respectfully disagree with the outcome of what you presented. It is
skewed and not at all an accurate analogy. My statements in the original
post and the meaning of what was being conveyed are more accurate than what
you presented in your response. Here's why:

I was using some common sense, trying to keep it simple. Most of the MG guys
on this list don't care about all those details, related to the original
thread topic. Most, being car enthusiasts, already understood what I was
meaning.

The "relativeness" to each other is what I was indicating, the Vette vs. the
Ferrari, and that still applies, no matter stock or not stock. BOTH model
cars OBVIOUSLY had extensive modifications, but with the Ferrari having a
BIG starting block head start and with Ferrari having a much larger
financial AND more deep rooted commitment to racing than GM. Additionally,
Ferrari does not have prohibitions or limitations on engine sizes,
emissions, fuel economy and such as GM does here in the US. Ferrari is an
"all out" racing (and car selling) company that faces virtually NO
limitations. GM does what they do mostly for marketing their marquee
performance model and their image. Ferraris are built and sold based on
racing results and racing heritage. Period. No contest on the level of
"commitment" from the two different companies. I don't think that too many
knowledgeable car people would argue that.

The Corvette DID have a Chevrolet/GM designed engine. The Ferrari DID have a
Ferrari designed engine. NEITHER were stock. Both were legal for the GTS
class and built as far as class rules and corporate budgets/commitment would
allow.  I was simply trying to indicate the RELATIVE DIFFERENCE between them
by using the "stock" comparison without going into all the fine details. The
post was already long enough without all that. Very commonly done by
knowledgeable people when addressing other knowledgeable people such as the
guys on the MG list. I believe that most list readers understand/understood
that.

I think what the C-5 Corvettes have done the in last couple of years,
especially in face of the odds, is just absolutely awesome, just as what the
MGB did in 1973 when it won the SCCA class road racing championship and
other major races it won as the underdog and with similar odds! THAT was the
real thread topic and the moral of the storey.

THX!

Jerry

Jerry Erbesfield
Was - 73 Black beauty MGB roadster