Re: Roller Throw Out Bearings

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roller Throw Out Bearings
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:31:53 +0100
I had occasion to change the clutch on my B and decided to shell out even
more money for the roller bearing release bearing (and not use the included
carbon item) 'cos it seemed to make sense.  A few k down the road it starts
squeaking just as the pedal starts to take up or release the pressure on the
bearing.  Annoying but I suppose it would be an audible reminder not to ride
the clutch - if that was a habit, which it isn't, and I have never worn out
a carbon release bearing.  I then thought ahead to the next time I need to
change the clutch - am I really going to put back that old roller bearing?
I don't think so.  That and many comments that one has to source or make a
pull-off kit to prevent excessive wear of the roller bearing (!) leads me to
say it is an expensive waste of time, those that ride the clutch may find
different.  Having said all that, I understand the factory V8 had them
fitted as standard.  That is different, I would expect to get one as part of
a clutch kit, and I would fit it.