Re: Roller Throw Out Bearings

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: Roller Throw Out Bearings
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@zoominternet.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:28:07 -0400
"Dodd, Kelvin" wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> I'm posting this in the hope that it doesn't cause a religious discussion.
>
> I'm interested only in actual experience with Roller Throw Out Bearings in
> Midget A Series, MG T Series and MGA/B applications.
>
> I know all about the arguments, pro and con.  So please don't jam up the
> airwaves with theoretical concepts.  I need to get honest real world
> experience both positive and negative.  This is both for company and
> personal information.  Moss currently does not sell a roller TO brg for the
> B, but still lists one for T Series and Spridgets.  If there really is a
> problem:  A.  I'll lobby to discontinue selling them and B.  I will not put
> the one I have into my MGB which will be driven in lots of stop n go
> traffic.
> If however there is positive input, I will see if we can re-source the B one
> and pop one in my car.
>
> Thanks, and I look forward to your comments.

I installed them in several A's & B's over the years with completely positive
results and mileages of 20k-40k on them so far. James probably had the highest
number of miles accumulated on his roadster when we pulled the clutch. His
roller
T-O Bearing looked, felt and sounded fine. I had never heard of using a return
spring at that time, so none of my installations had one.

Jim
microdoc@zoominternet.net
1960 MGA 1600 Very Red
1974 MGB-GT Damask (Very Burgundy) Red