Re: Roller Throw Out Bearings

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roller Throw Out Bearings
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:08:13 -0700
That is a very good point -- the roller bearing by its nature has to be
precisely centered. The carbon-faced bearing did not; hence, the entire
actuation system was designed without the requirement for throw-out bearing
centering in mind. I can think of all sorts of ways the centering could be
off, over and above the use of a non-matching arm, as Norm describes. Worn
pins and bushes are the obvious candidates.

The question that occurs to me is: even with a spring retraction system (t
avoid premature wear), wouldn't an off-center bearing be under severe stress
every time the clutch was actuated?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149