Re: Why would I like to buy a MGC

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why would I like to buy a MGC
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:14:16 EDT
In a message dated 8/11/03 4:53:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Of course, you are aware, aren't you, that with More Power, More Power,
> More Power comes Worse Handling, Worse Handling, Worse Handling due to
> all the extra weight on the front wheels?  Not to say that I wouldn't
> also buy an MGC if the price were right (and I had the money), just FYI.

On the MGC is relatively easy to tune the supension to get decent handling.
It is also  fairly easy to improve the power.

I use a sorted MGC with around 175 bhp and an honest 130 mph top end, and it
is a lot more exciting than any MGB.

The engine is not an easy revving engine like the 4 cylinder (even with my
flywheel cut in half), and I don't like the late all synchro box as much as the
early non-synch, although the synchros themselves are much more durable, but
it makes a very handy grand touring car. Even the stock MGC had more power than
the MGB V-8, which was anaemic, using the low output Rover engine instead of
the SD1 tune, although obviously that can be remedied.

I've driven an original rhd MGB GT V-8, and a TR-8, and on the whole I prefer
the tuned MGC.

Of course none of them have the class, style, or joie de vivre a Twincam can
offer, but hey - you can't have everything!

Bill