Re: The After-Market

To: doddk@mossmotors.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The After-Market
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:18:26 EDT
In a message dated 8/12/03 4:55:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
doddk@mossmotors.com writes:

> I promise a Moss MGC section as soon as I get some breathing space.  Owning
> one is very helpful, as cross referencing parts takes forever.

Seems to me that was the only way we got Twincam parts into the catalogue -
an owner in the company ;-)

> Sorry about the rear bumper.  When British Leyland sold out their stocks
> only one manufacturer stepped up to reproduce the bumper.  It wasn't Moss by
> the way.  That manufacturer has made all of the new bumpers blanks since
> then.  Recently Moss chose to discontinue carrying the item due to product
> quality problems until such time as a better product is on the market.

Yes - and as I've pointed out before, there would be no point in you guys
offering a really good product if almost all of your customers are too darned
cheap to pay for it! I _would_ like to see an alternative, even if you keep
just
a handful of the premium parts around - it would look nice in your catalogue,
and you would actually get people that wanted triple plate instead of tin foil
every once in awhile.

> To close.  The glitzy shiny accessories and the people who buy them are
> what
> keep boring restoration parts on the shelf.  I'd suggest thanking the next
> person you see with a cross flow head, Sunfast cloth top, chrome wire
> wheels, Custom Deluxe Leather Interior, wood dash, logo rugby shirt etc.
> That person has allowed the after market industry to stay alive.  Without
> that industry, we would all be back to scrubbing around in scrap yards and
> annoying local parts guys with our hopes that something would cross
> reference.

I hear you - I worked my way through university as a partsman. You have to
supply whatever the rubes will buy, no matter how foolish it might seem to you,
so you can keep the doors open.

Bill