FW: The After-Market

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: The After-Market
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:56:02 -0700
Dear Bill:

Look on the bright side, at least there are parts catalogs to peruse still.
Thank the people who do buy parts on a regular basis that you can find
anything at all without having to dig around in dark attics.

I promise a Moss MGC section as soon as I get some breathing space.  Owning
one is very helpful, as cross referencing parts takes forever.

As for your list:  The cap and seal are the same as the AH one.  The angle
drive, according to the supercessions I ran should be the same as the
regular MGB.  There was a factory supercession that looks like the numbers
merged.  Sorry, but $49.95 Retail isn't exactly "very expensive
unobtainium".

The orginal brake boosters were discontinued by Lucas/Girling shortly after
the dawn of time, so finding an air filter may be a bit tough.  Delphi
Lockheed, Austin Rover, TRW Aftermarket Ops-Hydraulic  None of them are
currently manufacturing this part which was 64490584, or the kit which was
64949011.

Moss does have both FS and FA key blanks on the shelf, because it is very
unlikely that the local lock shop will have key blanks that were made
obsolete twenty years ago.

Sorry about the rear bumper.  When British Leyland sold out their stocks
only one manufacturer stepped up to reproduce the bumper.  It wasn't Moss by
the way.  That manufacturer has made all of the new bumpers blanks since
then.  Recently Moss chose to discontinue carrying the item due to product
quality problems until such time as a better product is on the market.

To close.  The glitzy shiny accessories and the people who buy them are what
keep boring restoration parts on the shelf.  I'd suggest thanking the next
person you see with a cross flow head, Sunfast cloth top, chrome wire
wheels, Custom Deluxe Leather Interior, wood dash, logo rugby shirt etc.
That person has allowed the after market industry to stay alive.  Without
that industry, we would all be back to scrubbing around in scrap yards and
annoying local parts guys with our hopes that something would cross
reference.

Kelvin.