Re: Two questions newbie MGB owner

To: "Jp Plank" <moonshine327@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Two questions newbie MGB owner
From: "Mike Janacek" <mjanacek@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:18:30 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jp Plank" <moonshine327@juno.com>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 1:28 PM
Subject: Two questions newbie MGB owner

> Hi all;
>
> I'm new to the list and have really enjoyed the discussions thus far.  I
> was given a rest free 78 B in very good condition about 6 months ago and
> I'm currently working on bringing it to road worthy condition.  I have
> two questions.
>
> 1)  my electric fans turn opposite directions.  the pass side fan pushes
> air thru the radiator.  the drivers side pulls air thru the radiator.
> The electrical connections appear to be undisturbed and original.  Is it
> supposed to work this way? If not what can i do to fix it?

Not correct. My fans both turn CCW viewed from the front of the car. Also
check that the thicker part of the blade is the leading edge. More than once
owners have found the fan blades installed backwards.

> 2) My car has a ZS carb.  Is a special tool required to adjust the
> mixture?  Where do i find such a special tool if needed? Where can i find
> info on tuning the car? It seems to run very rich as the catalytic
> converter turn red hot after a few minuets of running.

As has been stated you need the ZS tool, available from Moss and VB among
others, around $10 US.
For tuning I have scanned the tuning procedures for the ZS from the Bentley
manual, here in the maint. folder: http://photos.yahoo.com/bubblechaser343 ,
although I changed to HS4 carbs two years ago.

Mike
'79B