RE: Why no MGs?

To: "'Paul M.'" <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Why no MGs?
From: "Dean T. Lake" <dtlake@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:45:44 -0400
Just from my amateur observation, here's my take:

Rover is taking baby steps toward getting the MG brand back over here.
The Mangusta based new SV is now on sale (as of this week!) and has been
bandied about as a potential SCCA series car.  That would be a good next
step from the ALMS successes.  The big obstacles are US regs and the
absence of a US dealer network.  Initially, the EPA regs will be dealt
with by using the Ford 4.6 V8.  Further development is presumably going
on now to address the compliance of any other engine options or
platforms.  As for a dealer network, I have no idea how they will
approach that one.  But I hope there's one near me!

Paul, you mention the 318ti - it was coincidentally the car that I was
pondering to complement my B roadster when I decided to simply combine
the two concepts and get a GT.  The ti is such a practical, yet neat
little car.  The big strike against it from my perspective (besides BMW
pricing) was that it needed the straight six (which they could get in
Europe) to go with the some 2800 pounds.  There is a guy locally who has
made the conversion, and it is a delightful combination.  For the rest
of you, think "Classier Honda Civic with RWD and 200 hp."  I actually
had a Honda Civic si as my complementary car, and liked it fine, but I
cannot abide by front wheel drive no matter how hard I try.

It sounds like you are like me; I'm ready for a relatively stark and
inexpensive sporty rear wheel drive car in the MG tradition.

Dean

----------------------
I think there used to be a misconception that US
buyers would shun sporting vehicles developed for
continental tastes, but I think that misconception was
largely based on the dismal sales failure of cars like
the BMW 318ti,

But then again, what the heck do I know?  What's the
party line?  Why does the Rover Group say they don't
sell cars here?

=====
Paul Misencik