Re: Mileage

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mileage
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 10:55:59 +1030
jello@ida.net wrote:

> > I would like to compare her on the drive to/from the track - open road
> > cruising at 65mph in 4th gear for half an hour - and then the mad laps
> > of the track (short straights where the fastest I get up to is 95mph,
> > wind-assisted and no interfering traffic :-)
>
> I used to have access to a road that was more or less closed, but well
> paved.  I can tell you, my 67 B in fairly good tune with overdrive does
> 103mph.  Without OD it does about 95mph.  Better tuning could change that
> a few miles per hour, but not much.

I don't have OD on my 'B so all my high speed long trips are probably
noisier than most and probably less fuel efficient (have we had this
argument before???) but once she gets up to speed she cruises really
nicely at 70/75mph - with plenty of "kick" to pass slower cars.  Hard to
test her much more than that because our "open" speed limits are 65mph
(except in the Northern Territory where you can find NO SPEED LIMIT roads).

My last LONG drive (nine hours) was at a very constant 70mph or so and I
roughly calculated that she was getting at least 25/28mpg based on the
few times I had to fill the tank during the trip.

She will do over 100mph but the only tracks I can test her on don't have
long enough straights.  My usual track has a nasty double/triple apex
hairpin leading onto the straight that (with normal gearing) has you
either bogging down in third or red-lining in 2nd gear coming out of it.
 With such a lousy start she doesn't get the chance to wind up to speed
- but I still catch up to and hassle many of the big boys under brakes
into the next corner ... before they take off away from me again on the
next straight :-(

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII