Re: ZS to HIF

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ZS to HIF
From: "Mike Janacek" <mjanacek@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 02:38:30 -0400
Hi Monte,
My answers are embedded.
Mike'79B

----- Original Message -----
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2003 11:49 PM
Subject: ZS to HIF

> Since the ZS is running very rich and getting 12 MPG, I'm getting ready to
> trade the ZS carb in the 79B (desmogged) for HIF's out of a 74B parts car.
> have the carbs, manifold, heat shield, and exhaust system. I also have the
> round Accessory foam air cleaners, Moss part # 223-230, that several
listers
> are using.
> But, of course I have a few questions before I start tackling it:
> 1. On the 79 there is a tube that goes from the front of the manifold to
the
> brakes. What do I do with this on the 74 manifold?

There should be a large threaded (possibly capped) fitting on the intake
manifold. Remove the brake booster adapter from the ZS and install on the
HIF manifold and reconnect the hose.

> 2. Do I hook up the anti-run on valve?

Yes, again via the HIF manifold. Fourth gear vacuum advance is also
connected to the manifold.

> 3. How do I hook up a manual choke: Where have others put the knob on the
> dash? I have a rectangular blanking plate on the left side of the dash
just
> above the hazard switch and one on the right side just above the fan
switch.
> I believe someone said put the choke know in place of the dash reostat,
but
> mine works. If I use one of the blanking plates, how do I accomplish this?

Mine already had a manual choke. I haven't looked closely as to how it
mounts to the dash, although it is above the reostat.

> 4. Here in NE Missouri it gets COLD, should/could I hook up the carb
> induction heater from the ZS to the HIF's?

Won't fit. Vicky Brit used to carry induction heaters for the pre ZS cars.
Not sure if they still do.

> 5. I've seen the Chicagoland ZS to HS carb swap pictures, but the HIF
> manifold and plumbing are different; does anyone have a step-by-step
> procedure for this?
> 6. In the middle of the HIF manifold off the parts car is a small tube
bent
> at 90 degrees and is plugged off. Where did this go, and do I need to hook
> it up again?

Probably was the gulp valve sensing line. You might be able to use it for
the anti-runon connection.

> 7. Will I need to fabricate anything?

Shouldn't need to. Heater hose can be rotated down to clear the HIF's
instead of new plumbing running across the top of the valve cover. Consider
replacing both tappet cover gaskets while apart and accessable. Check the
thickness of the intake and exhaust manifold flanges to see if they match.
If not you'll need to fabricate half washers to make up the difference.
Depending on the exhaust you have you might need a rear tip to reach beyond
the rubber bumper. Earlier CB cars had a shorter rear pipe.