Re: Polishing paint

To: "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>, "List MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Polishing paint
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:05:36 +0100
Mer is quite popular in the UK, especially with the concourse brigade it
seems, but I find it leaves white powdery traces in the crevices of my less
than concourse but rust-free black-tulip roadster, and these only seem to
appear over time several hours or days after polishing, so I keep finding
new bits.  The benefit of Mer is that it doesn't take any colour off onto
the cloth.  Turtle Wax does take a little off onto the cloth, although I
have been using it two or three times a year for 12 years or so and haven't
worn through yet, but is much easier to apply and polish off and gives a
good deep shine.  Washing is more important than polishing in keeping a
shine without having to resort to T-cutting or other paint restorers, which
are much more aggressive at removing paint.  I have *never* taken any car of
mine to an automatic car wash, regular use will leaving it looking like it
has been wet and dry'd, and that is assuming the owner of the wash is
careful about removing the barbed wire and other debris from the brushes
each morning put there by someone's little darlings (they take no
responsibility for any damage to your car).  I always use a brush on a hose
with running water to wet the surface first and soften any mud before using
the brush on the body, then rinsing off with the hose then leathering off.
I never use a sponge and bucket as the sponge traps tiny particles to
scratch over your paint.  I also never use a car shampoo and especially not
washing-up liquid which can dull the surface, as they also take off any
remaining polish.  After thoroughly drying and before polishing I go over
any stone chips with a touch-up brush.  As this leaves a surface
imperfection these also trap white powder from Mer, less so from Turtle.
My Black Tulip seems particularly susceptible to the sun so I have to wash
it in the shade and when cool or it develops white patches under the water
bobbles.

PaulH.