Re: Polishing paint

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Polishing paint
From: cm.sherman@verizon.net
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:08:17 -0400
Here's a couple of thoughts...

The Porter Cable 7424 polisher is definitely worth its weight, especially in
comparison
performing the work by hand - the results are night and day. It's the
backing plate that prevents the paint burn, do necessarily the polishing
unit. Take a look at the 'skinny article' at Coastal Tools to assist you

The product is well designed, although a bit difficult to hold due to it's
baseball bat sized handle. Classic Motoring sells the 7424 for $130
($119@Coastal Tools). Remember, additional supplies WILL be required.
Mequiar's and others sells backing plates and kits. I brought Classic's
with everything I could possibly need - visit their site for value
information and make your own decision. Also visit Goodspeed Motoring for
additional Auto Detailing Reference Articles.

I love Griot's products, but hate their pricing - expensive! but remember,
their catalogues are marketed to California car owners - the likes of
Leno, and Ferraris and Pebble Beach exhibitors. They do have terrific
customer service, a free Detailer's Handbook (as a download .pdf), and the
only 'abrasive-free' chrome polish I've found.

For supplies, you'll have a hard time beating 3M. Their offer commercial
and consumer grade products, which are available Online with free
shipping! The link below will take you there (hideously long and
unfriendly).

LINKS:

Classic Motoring
<http://www.properautocare.com>

Goodspeed Motoring
<http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/?page=detailing>

Coastal Tool
7424 Polisher
<http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+zshh5076ffc295c2+997826838#access>
The "Skinny" on the 7335, 7336, 7424 Sander / Polisher Systems
<http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/skinny.htm?L+coastest+zshh5076ffc295c2+1065633686>

3M Car Care Store
<http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry?SP=10007&SID=28181&CID=0&CUR=840&DSP=0&CACHE_ID=0>
1-877-405-6652