Re: MGB alt question

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB alt question
From: "Tims home office" <teconomu@whidbey.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 07:14:06 -0700
Thanks again Paul:

>BTW, whilst you should have about 14.5v (except on heavy loads) at the
>this may well be 14v at the brown on the fusebox, lower again on the >white
>and still lower on the green, quite possibly down to the 13.5v that you
>mentioned at one point.  All this is relatively normal for cars of this
age,
>and would probably need all new electrical wiring, connectors and
>components
>to improve"

Yep that is true, and anything above nominal battery voltage of 12.8VDC is
_actually_ charging the batts. But I also know that the past weeks charging
problem has made the battery quite low, and 13.5V at the battery is ok until
batts are more charged.

Also I found my problem this am!!
Thanks to your comment about solenoid, and putting a meter right at the
alt!! After consulting the wiring diagram, I the large brown from alt to
solenoid broken and "barely" touching. So I stripped and soldered the wire
as a temporary patch.This accounted for the charging when decelerating and
discharging when accelerating.  Actually all 5 wires down there are pretty
beat up and bare, so I am going to schedule an hour or so this weekend, and
cut, strip and reconnect all of them neatly.

I PROMISE now to always check the voltage at the large brown at the alt!! IF
so I would have found that it was always 14.5V, even when the red ignition
light was on!!

Thanks again Paul and Pete (good idea that ground strap!!)

Tim
1969 MGBGT mona