MGB alt question

To: <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: MGB alt question
From: "Tim Economu" <teconomu@whidbey.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 22:41:50 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Hi Paul and all:
Wondering if you would have a moment to help me with my charging problem. My
ignition light sometimes comes on, and sometimes goes off when the engine is
running. My great MG electrical experience told me it was the alt, so I
changed it out with a tested rebuilt unit (tested good to 38 amps), and same
symptoms.

Here's what happens...
1. Turn on switch, red ignition light on. Vbat = 12.6
2. Start motor. Red light still on.  Vbat 12.5
3. Rev motor, light still on until the motor...   Vbat 12.5
4. Decelerates, light goes out. Vbat 13.6
5. Motor decelerates to idle. Light still out , vbat 13.0
6. Motor accelerates, light comes on, Vbat 12.4, then deceleratees and light
goes back out, vbat 13.5.

I am considering a loose connection in proximity of the engine, so that it
flexes with each accel/decel cycle. Is there a specific wire I should be
checking, or should I consider anything else??

Kind Regards,

Tim Economu
1969 MGBGT mona