Re: Fuel fillers

To: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel fillers
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:11:04 -0600
At 12:08 PM 10/21/2003 -0700, David Breneman wrote:

>Hi, James - I seem to be missing something here.  How else are you
>going to fill the tank without leaving the nozzle in the filler
>neck?  You saw what happened when the nozzle left the neck!  :-)
>Is there something here I'm not picking up on?

BTDT.

The original leaded pumps had a spring around the filler nozzle - probably
so that it could not be inserted in an unleaded car. But it also kept the
nozzle from falling out of the filler neck. Now with these smooth metal
tubed unleaded nozzles, there is no grip. I have had them slide out of my
71 BGT before, usually when the pump clicked off and gave the nozzle a
small kick. That did cause some fuel spillage. Nowadays, I always put the
nozzle in sideways so the handle rests against the bumper overrider. That
way its secure and I don't have to watch it closely when filling up the car.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B