Re: Vintage License Plates

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage License Plates
From: Chris Thompson <ct-mg@cthompson.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:28:24 -0600
Joseph Cianciotti (jmc987@earthlink.net) wrote:
> Saw a vintage Mercedes today with vintage (1950's) NY plates. Does
> anyone know how I could secure them for my MGB? Right now it has black
> CA plates. I have to re-register it in NY and hate giving them up.
> Frankly, the new plates are just plain ugly. Thanks in advance,

You need to check each state's laws on vintage plates. Here in Ohio I can
run model year appropriate plates, but that classifies the car as Historic
and I can only legally drive it 3000 miles a year. The risk of driving the
car more than that is that if you have a wreck and the insurance company
finds you've done more than 3000 a year, they can pull coverage. Or, at
least, that's the theory.

I have a set of year appropriate plates that I got from ebay. Just search
for "New York License Plates". Also, search for Plate, singular, as you'll
find a bunch that are single plates only. No idea if NY requires front
plates.

Here in Ohio if I want to put these plates on my car they have to be
inspected by the DMV before mounting. They can be refurbished, but they
cannot be reproductions. I had looked into having someone refurb my plates
and cutting a letter out and reversing it. My plates read W 777 G and I
wanted them to flip the W so they read M 777 G.

This whole issue has always bubbled in the back of my mind, could we
organize Ohio car nuts to get together a plan to revamp Ohio's plate laws
to do away with the wholly unnecessary front plates and to have a vintage
plate program that makes more sense.

Chris Thompson
1974 MGB Chrome Bumper Roadster