Re: Turbocharging an MGB?

To: mptreb@mac.com, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turbocharging an MGB?
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 08:23:03 -0800 (PST)
>> but I am curious if anyone has successfully
turbocharged an MGB with its stock intake
configuration. I.E.carburetted rather than
fuel-injected.<<

I was trying to rack my brains to think if any
manufacturer has ever produced a turbocharged,
carburetted production vehicle.  Can anyone think of
any?  Saab and Porsche were at the forefront of
production turbocharger technology in the 1970's, but
both used fuel injection.  And I'm pretty sure the BMW
2002 turbo was injected as well.  Mercedes-Benz
turbodiesels were also injected.

What about the ill-fated Yamaha Seca Turbo motorcycle?
 Was that carburetted?

It would seem to me that it would be almost impossible
to dial in the fuel mixture even close to correctly.
In order to have the mixture safe when the engine was
on boost, I would think it would be hard to avoid an
overly rich condition when it's wasn't on boost.

If you're going to turbocharge an MGB, though, why
stick with carbs?  With aftermarket packages like the
Electromotive TEC II engine management system readily
available and relatively affordable, it would seem to
me that you'd have a MUCH more powerful, reliable and
driveable finished product if you went that route.
The whole project would likely turn into a pretty darn
pricey venture, so why not do it right?

Just my two cents.

=====
Paul Misencik