Re: Turbocharging an MGB?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Turbocharging an MGB?
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@teradata-ncr.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:18:44 -0500
 Larry Colen wrote:
>>As I'm going through a lot of effort to build a supercharged motor
>>that puts out oodles of power, but keeps all the reciprocting bits
>>where they never see sunlight, I'll say that it's a lot more work than
>>you might expect.

I was somewhat confused by this comment and it could be mis-leading.
I put a supercharger on my MGB 3 or 4 years ago from Hans in Oz.
It literally took me 4 hours from taking the SC out of the box to
driving the car out of the garage. Since then I have spent about
2 or 3 hours "tweaking" the ign and carb. I would hardly say that
it's a "lot of effort".

When I rebuilt the engine just prior to the SC installation (it needed
a rebuilt anyway, so that part of the work can not be attributed
to the SC installation), I used normal build procedures. I did not
do anything "special" because I was going to install a SC (except
choose lower compression pistons).

The car was dynoed with 98hp at the rear wheels a couple of years
ago (~125 flywheel) - and this is on a 3-MAIN bearing engine. The engine
only now is showing a bit of stress - the oil pressure is down 10psi which
indicates the main bearings will need replacing. BUT that is not unusual
on a 3-main engine. My main bearings ALWAYS needed replacing every 3 or 4
years.

Am I missing something here? Where is the extra effort required?
gerry