Re: Headlight Question

To: "Mark Lennan" <mlennan@crankyrobots.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Headlight Question
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:53:48 -0000
A relay is advisable, but you will need one for each beam.  Fusing is also
advisable, again one for each filament, plus a higher rated fuse feeding the
two relays.  Even though the wiring can handle the higher current long
lengths if it and 30-year-old switches will be dropping some voltage which
is lost from the lights and can melt the switches, using relays protects the
switches and gives maximum brightness.  I did this on a modified car and the
owner said not only the difference in brightness was remarkable but also how
quickly they reached it.  See
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/wn_electricsframe.htm and click on 'Lighting'
and 'Uprated Headlamps ...' for a description and schematic.  Mounting
relays and fuses just behind the radiator mounting panel means you can use a
short harness to pick up the wires from the switches and the headlights
without cutting into the loom.

PaulH.