RE: FW: Headlight Question

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>,
Subject: RE: FW: Headlight Question
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:48:14 US/Mountain
I would not assume this for all MG's.  I have a 1967 that is mostly
original, but converted to negative ground, and has some auxiliary Smith's
gauges wired in.  One is an Ammetter, and another a Voltmeter.  I
installed halogen lights a couple years ago, and although the red idiot
light did not come on, I could see that the generator could not keep up,
and I was losing a significant amount of electrical power when driving
with my lights on.  The halogens were on for 2 days, and I went back to
run of the mill sealed beam incandescents (which were harder to get than
halogens).

I had a lot of regulator trouble before though, and that's really why the
ammeter and voltmeter were installed.  About a year ago, I got tired of
fighting the generator and regulator issues, and replaced it with a lucas
internally regulated alternator  - which also was enough higher amperage
to power the formerly purchased halogen headlights and keep up when
everything else is on too (heaters, wipers, brake lights, overdrive, etc.)

So, I wouldn't say the amp draw of halogen lights is minor.

Phil Bates
'58 MGA (still with generator)
'67 MGB (now with an alternator)
Misc others, one of which I converted from alternator to generator because
of issues in it's electrical system.

> David:
> I have always assumed the same thing.
>
> The current draw for regular H4 halogen headlights is not much more than
the less
efficient sealed beam units.  I have never run into anyone having problems
with
overloading the wiring or switches if they were working ok with the
original lamps.

> I would suggest if you care enough to install better lights, also take
the time to ensure
that all the wiring contacts and grounds are in good condition.