Re: Straight 40

To: ccrobins@ktc.com
Subject: Re: Straight 40
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:10:09 -0500
In a message dated 11/7/2003 1:50:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, ccrobins@ktc.com
writes:

>   What I don't understand is why you don't believe that the guys who
> designed and built the gearboxes/overdrives didn't know
> what oil was
> best to use in them.

Well, since I was the owner in 1968 of a brand new '68 GT with the same gearbox
and overdrive as the later years and my memory isn't completely in the dumper I
can recall exactly what they guys who designed and built the tranny called for
and it was 30W, period.  I believe it was non-detergent, too, but I'm less
clear about that part. Oh, and I drove that for 10 years with no problems
EXCEPT when, later in its life, I briefly went to 5W50 oil and the darn thing
refused to stay in OD.
Now, maybe the later geniuses who drove the British motorcar industry into the
ground decided to recommend multi-grade did the correct research to back up
that change, but I'll go with, as you said, what the guys who designed and
built it recommended.

Jay Donoghue