Re: Painting questions

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Painting questions
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:10:31 -0600
Paul M. wrote:

> My questions are these:
>
> 1)  What kind of gun should I buy?  Should I get an
> HVLP gun, or one of the regular kinds?  The booth has
> an air source, but I need to buy a gun and I have NO
> idea what to look for.

The HVLP is the hot ticket these days. It uses a lot less
paint than the normal. I guess it's a bit harder to use, but
not that bad. I have no experience in them.

> 2)  What type of paint should I buy?  Enamel?
> Lacquer?  I'm looking for whatever will get me the
> best combination of good finish, good durability, and
> something that's also easy to apply.  (Although
> probably not in that order).

20 years ago, I layed lacquer on my '72. It was pretty easy
to spray, but then I had to rub it out to get a finish. It was
a bit rough.

Enamel should lay down smooth. It is also more durable. Again,
harder to apply than lacquer. You don't get to rub out imperfections.

> 3)  How lethal are these various paints?  I know I
> need a respirator, but do I have to be overly worried
> about it, or will a modicum of common sense likely be
> enough?

Again, 20 years ago, I used the 3M disposable masks. My nose
was green for a week or so. :-)

A few years back, my uncle, who really can paint, painted my
Mountain Bike for me (white fade to Plum Crazy, a great Chysler color :-)

When he laid the clear coat on, he had us leave the shed, and he put
on a serious resperator. He said the fumes from that stuff will give you
brain damage.

> 4)  What BRAND of paint should I buy?  Are most
> companies good enough for a hack like me, or should I
> avoid any brands?  Are any easier to work with or
> anything?

Don't know.

> 5)  What materials do I need to buy?  Should I spray
> sealer before I spray primer?  How many coats of base
> and how many coats of clear should I shoot, and how
> much paint do you think I'll need to buy in order to
> have enough for my MGB?

I used about a gallon. Of course the HVLP would be a bunch less.
I don't remember how many coats.