Re: Painting questions

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Painting questions
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:57:29 -0500
I will offer some info here, most second hand because I haven't painted
anything yet.

Two part epoxy paints are the hot ticket today.  First is the color, then
the clear although it is not easy to repair.  If you are at bare metal,
start with a metal etching primer, then primer, then paint, then clear.

Definitely HVLP for reasons already stated, I have read anywhere from 30 to
50% improved transfer efficiency over conventional guns.  When I had my V8
painted they used PPG concept car line of paint.  I'm sure it was over $100
per gallon but the labor is the REALLY expensive part, and since you're
saving that you can afford even better paint.

I was told that the paint was dry enough to shoot over within 15minutes.
For the best possible finish you need to spray a coat, wet sand, and repeat
for both color and clear.  This will take days, and is probably over the top
for your needs.  After you finish you need to wait 30 days or more before
waxing or using pressurized car washes.  I read once that if one coat of
paint takes an hour to cure, two coats will take 100 hours since the bottom
coat is not open to fresh air.

Some people will spray ridiculous numbers of coats but I think you would get
where you want in two coats of color.  After the color, shoot two coats of
clear and this should give you enough room for a nice cut and polish later
to really bring out the shine.

When I had mine painted the put down the color (Audi Nimbus Grey) then the
racing stripes (black), and finally the clear.  This left a finish with no
noticeable ridge between base color and stripes.  If you are thinking of
using a modern color, go to the dealer service counter at the appropriate
car dealer and ask for the paint code.  In my case they thought it was
pretty cool that I was going to use the color on an old car.  They didn't
mind at all that it wasn't going on an Audi.

A single part paint, combined color and clear, will look nearly as good and
will be easier to repair later on.  It also solves the problem of what
happens if you miss a spot when clearcoating a two part paint.  I had the
interior painted but not clearcoated, and it is completely flat, as there is
no gloss in the pigment portion of a two part paint

As for fumes, buy a good cartridge filter, you will be surprised how often
you use it once you have bought it.  Another benefit is it will keep you
alive long enough to enjoy your new paint job.

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8
85 Dodge Ram