Aluminum front and back plates

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Aluminum front and back plates
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:28:56 -0800
I've got a friend with a nice machine shop. I suspect that if I bribed
him properly I could get a really good deal on having him make front
and back plates for my motor out of aluminum. This would obviously
save quite a few pounds off of the steel ones, and may even improve
cooling an almost measurable amount. OK, with gaskets, the thermal
tranfer differences will be less than negligable.

Are there any significant DISADVANTAGES  to going to aluminum front
and back plates on the motor? Sure, it sounds sexy, and will save some
weight. I don't think that they would have any significant strength or
coefficiant of expansion issues, but I figure that it's worth checking
first.

By the way, said friend is in need of upgrading his computer. It's an
old power mac and he doesn't really want to learn windows etc. He's in
Santa Clara. If anyone has a more modern Mac (G3 or G4) that they are
looking for a home for, he could very likely be talked into swapping
some custom fabricated parts.  Drop me a not off the list if you're
interested.

--
                   Girling is not a verb.