Re: New Tank Prep

To: ronking@sbcglobal.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Tank Prep
From: MGTD1952@cs.com
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:49:50 EST
In a message dated 11/15/03 8:43:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ronking@sbcglobal.net writes:

> Is there any recommended procedure for prepping a new gas tank?  I got one
> from Proper MG and am wondering if anyone knows of any required cleaning/prep
> procedures before installation?

While you have the tank out, it's not a bad idea to clean up the bottom.  Get
rid of any rust, and maybe even apply a rust inhibtor like POR-15 or
Eastwood's product (the name escapres me at the moment).

Before hte new tank goes in, consider treating that as well.  On my BGT I
used the spray on pick-up bed liner. A few coats of rustoleum heavy duty primer
first, then two cans of spray cans of 3M liner.  If it ever chips up, a quick
squirt and good as new.  The coating on the tank as shipped is just a shipping
coat, so you'll have to do something.

Steve in NJ