Re: Why nylock nuts? - now porsche valve adjustment

To: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>, jello@ida.net,
Subject: Re: Why nylock nuts? - now porsche valve adjustment
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:08:27 US/Mountain
Yes.  Valve clearance in an early porsche (and I think on all actually) is
0.004".  The official service interval is 6000 miles.  If you don't at
least check them, you easily run the risk of burning valves.  I usually
have one or two valves that need an adjustment each time - and no, it's
not always the same one or two.  And yes, I replace all 34 nuts and
washers each time.  I usually replace the plugs too.

It's about a 6 hour job too - I really do wish I didn't have to do it.

Need some metric used nylock nuts??

Phil Bates