Spinon filter adapters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spinon filter adapters
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:32:08 -0800
I was talking to the dealer I'm setting up a big Moss order through,
and had decided to try the hanging spinon filter adapter, the one that
has the filter mounted concentrically. I didn't have my catalogue in
front of me, so I just said that it's the one on page 12 of the
current catalogue.  He replied:

Re the spin-on filter.  The only one I see in my dealer catalogue for $30 is
the "Spin On Filter Adaptor" PNUM: 235-940.  But there is a note citing
"Will not fit alternator-equipped MGBs from 1968-1980."  There is no
specific note like that on Moss' website, but the application notes also
state only MGBs through 1967.

If I look at my engine (or a picture thereof):
http://www.red4est.com/jasaside/blowart/blowartpix/wholething/pict0419.jpg

I don't see any reason why a spinon adapter, that puts the oil filter
in the same place as the cannister style filter would not work on an
alternator equipped car.

When I look at the part on the moss site:
http://mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29601&SortOrder=1

I don't see any reason why it would interfere with the alternator. as
a matter of fact, it looks like a much cleaner installation.

What's the issue with this on later cars?

--
                   Girling is not a verb.