Re: Spinon filter adapters

To: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spinon filter adapters
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:15:10 -0600
At 09:32 PM 11/19/03 -0800, Larry Colen wrote:
>.... hanging spinon filter adapter, the one that has the filter mounted
>concentrically. ....
>
>.... "Spin On Filter Adaptor" PNUM: 235-940.  But there is a note citing
>"Will not fit alternator-equipped MGBs from 1968-1980."  ....
>I don't see any reason why a spinon adapter, that puts the oil filter in
>the same place as the cannister style filter would not work on an
>alternator equipped car.

It's a small coincidence, and a slightly misleading statement.  It doesn't
have anything to do with the alternator, except that introduction of the
alternator in 1968 happens to coincide with introduction of the pre-engage
type starter motor.  The later starter motor is longer, which interferes
with the concentric hanging oil filter mount.

For the 1968 model year the oil filter mount was changed to the inverted
type.  When they later went back to a hanging filter, a new filter mount
had an offset that positioned the filter vertically and a little farther
forward so not to interfere with the starter motor.

For better clarity, the statement in the catalog chould read, "Will not fit
pre-engaged starter starter equipped MGB's from 1968-1980".

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com