Re: Main Bearings Torque

Subject: Re: Main Bearings Torque
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:33:02 -0600
At 03:14 PM 11/22/03 +0200, Ross Bateman wrote:
>.... start putting the B's engine back together. ....
>
>In the workshop manual they saay you should test for exsessive
>stiffness.  I torqued the front and rear caps down to 70 lbs / foot and
>the crank would not budge.  By excessive stiffness, do they mean you
>should be able to turn the cranck by hand when the caps are torqued?

Absolutely.  With all main caps torqued down and no pistons, you should be
able to turn the crankshaft with two fingers.  There should be about .001"
radial clearance in the bearings, and the only drag should be from the
viscosity of the oil film.

>So is 70 the correct torque setting and should it be hand movement on the
>crank?

Yup, and yup.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude