Re: Main Bearings Torque

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>, mgs@autox.team.net, ross@rcsa.co.za
Subject: Re: Main Bearings Torque
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:29:51 -0600
Barney Gaylord wrote:

> At 03:14 PM 11/22/03 +0200, Ross Bateman wrote:
>
>> .... start putting the B's engine back together. ....
>>
>> In the workshop manual they saay you should test for exsessive
>> stiffness.  I torqued the front and rear caps down to 70 lbs / foot
>> and the crank would not budge.  By excessive stiffness, do they mean
>> you should be able to turn the cranck by hand when the caps are torqued?
>

> Absolutely.  With all main caps torqued down and no pistons, you should
> be able to turn the crankshaft with two fingers.  There should be about
> .001" radial clearance in the bearings, and the only drag should be from
> the viscosity of the oil film.
>
>> So is 70 the correct torque setting and should it be hand movement on
>> the crank?
>

> Yup, and yup.

I have occasionally been called in to help with an engine build that
sticks like this and won't turn freely. Often it's because some
lubricating grease is behind the bearing shell, holding it out against
the crank journal, making it difficult to turn. Another reason has been
that one or more of the caps or bearing shells were turned around
backwards, so that the locating tab was bent in against the journal
instead of locating in the notch. The locating tabs should always be in
the notches and should also butt against the other bearing shell, the
two tab-ends being adjacent to each other.

-Rock
--
"JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us