Re: To seal or not to seal (?)

To: BarrMark262@aol.com
Subject: Re: To seal or not to seal (?)
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:30:33 -0600
Dennis:

IMO There's no need to use any cement, especially Permatex, on most
gaskets in most situations.  It can make disassembly difficult if
something needs to be removed.  If the mating surfaces are properly
prepared all that's needed is the gasket.  In fact there are sometimes
no sealers or gaskets used at all.  The oil pump cover on the XPAG
engine uses no sealer or gasket.

I only use a gasket sealer in the following instances.

1)  If the metal surfaces are not very smooth due to deep gouges or
corrosion.
2)  The gasket needs to stick to one side of an item to aid assembly.
3)  Head gaskets are usually coated with copper coat to aid sealing and
heat transfer.

If I do use a gasket sealer, no a cement, I prefer to use High Tack.

Blake