ebay duped

To: Mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: ebay duped
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:56:20 -0600
So I got duped on ebay last week. At least in
my opinion.

I got a steering wheel, for a pretty good price.
it was advertised as coming off a '75, but it's a
70-72 (5 hole). I guess that should have been a flag
that it had been on at least 2 cars.

It was advertised as 'good used condition'. When I got
home on Friday and pulled it out of the box, the first
thing out of my mouth was, "I got duped". In my opinion,
it is at best fair condition. A matter of symantacs and
opinion, so I can't go far there. The brushed aluminum
was painted (poorly) over and there was some rust showing
through. The wheel part has considerable wear. You can't
see the "stitching" on most of it. And there is some minor
cracking on it.

The biggest thing, is there is no hub. There was no mention
of a hub, but it included a horn button that covered the middle
hiding the lack of a hub. I guess that's just a case of buyer
beware.

So I figure get wire wheel for the drill or air tools and clean
the spokes to see what's there.

Is there any conditioner that can help the wheel area? Something
like the Letherique that's supposed to do such a good job on leather.

As it stands, the wheel is certainly not worth paying $25 for a new
hub for it. I'm not sure it's worth half that for a used one in it's
current condition.

Oh well, live and learn. Too bad, since I like the style and the
thickness. Especially compared to my '77.

Paul.

--
                                 ______
Paul T. Root <proot@iaces.com> /    _ \