Re: Value of BGTs?/Letter to the Editor

To: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Value of BGTs?/Letter to the Editor
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:23:59 US/Mountain
I remember about 10 years ago the Gast auto Museum in Pennsylvania shut
down and auctioned off a lot of their collection.  One of the items sold
was the last MGB to enter the US.  It was an MGB LE.  The guy that bought
it chose to drive it home.  He then had a tremendous fire on the way home,
and I believe the car was a complete loss.  Buyer beware - cars that are
not driven aren't really ready to be driven.

Phil Bates

> "Paul M." wrote:
> >
> > --- Jack Feldman <qualitas@millenicom.com> wrote:
> > > I noticed in the latest Classics and Motorsport that
> > > the in some cases the BGT
> > > is more valuable than the roadster. Do you
> > > think the GT really is worth more?
> >
> > I think the article was highlighting "cars that might
> > appreciate".  The GT has a couple of serious selling
> > points over the roadster when it comes to
> > collectibility:
>
> As I have said on this list before, the GT is always harder to sell here
> in Australia - and generally sells for a couple of thousand dollars less
> than the roadster.
>
> But while we aren't on the subject, if any of you want to buy something
> that may well increase in value why don't you import this from Australia
> (or should that be BACK from Australia as it comes from the US in the
> first place).
>
> http://www.mgsales.com.au/mgble.html
>
> It has been sitting there in the shop for years and I reckon if you ask
> them you will get a good deal on it just now <hint><hint>.  Forget
> Clausagers... this is the real thing (compare it to the LE that the guy
> was selling on eBay).  Yep, genuine 42 miles on the clock! :-)
>
> No financial interest but they are mates of mine and do lots of the work
> on my cars.
>

> --
> Eric
> '68MGB MkII