Re: tire question

To: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: tire question
From: "G.G. Causey" <ggcausey@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:20:51 -0800
Mike,

I hate to sound like a prophet of doom, BUT:

Old tires (more than 5 years old) can kill you--sidewalls burst, treads
delaminate. The faster you go, the worse the consequences.

Mis-matched tires on the rear can destroy your differential.

Odd sizes on one or two corners make for a very evil-handling MG.

195-70 tires are too tall, and, if nothing else, will adversely affect
acceleration. They are also HEAVY--add to unsprung weight, and consequently,
affect corning ability. They also don't work too well in the cornering
department unless you are using rims that are at least 5.5 inches wide, and 6
inches are better.

The cheapest H rated tire made in some 3rd world country is more than adequate
for any MGB that isn't participating in competition of some kind.

185-65x14 is close to the diameter of the original OEM tire and fits ROStyle
wheels just fine.

~Jerry