Re: testing an overdrive

To: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: testing an overdrive
From: "mgamgb" <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:46:24 +1300
> I'm sure I remember cars with hoist brackets already fitted to the rocker
> cover bolts, and the thick washer under the B's bolts is there to take up
> the thickness of just such a bracket.

They were a standard fitting on (at least) the B series Austin and Morris
saloon cars of the era.

I used to use a lifting bar with a couple of slots in it to engage the
brackets, the bar had a row of holes in it so I could put a shackle at the
best balance point.

The studs look a bit spindly to lift an engine, but even at a thread root
diameter of a 1/4" and assuming say steel of yield 40 t/sq inch, each stud
has a capacity of about 2 tons.

The trick is of course not to bend them,

Ian F