Re: Red Warning Lite

To: <Aeseeyou@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Red Warning Lite
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:27:45 -0000
Never retro-fit an ammeter.  It introduces several more points for complete
electrical failure and needs two long wires that carry all the electrical
load except cranking.  If you really must have peace of mind then fit a
voltmeter, but as John Twist says "in almost all circumstances the warning
light will warn you of charge failure, go and buy some nice driving gloves
instead".  But none of the warning light, ammeter or voltmeter will tell you
if your car is going to start in the morning, and the gloves will keep your
hands warm while you are waiting for the breakdown service.  *None* of them
warn of cataclysmic failure of the charge until it has happened, and only
the voltmeter will warn of a gradual loss.

PaulH.