Steering wheel replacement

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering wheel replacement
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:22:44 -0500
I'm putting a new steering wheel (Moss #263-758) on my '78B.

I got the old one off.

I'm actually having MORE trouble getting the new one on than I did getting
the old one off.

It just doesn't seem to want to go on.  It'll go on about a 1/4 inch; I've
been using the mallet and/or hammer w/wood plank to try to get that critter
to go on further (having realized that hands alone won't do it).  I think
it's gone on a little more, but looks like it still needs to go another
half inch.  Certainly it's not on enough to get the nut on there fully.

It shouldn't be this hard to do, should it?  If not, what ought I be doing
that I'm not (short of paying someone to put it on for me :)

TIA,

- Tab