Re: Engine and tranny removal

To: james.harwood@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: Engine and tranny removal
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 08:20:55 -0400
Jim,
   Two rust-busting penetrants with which I have had success come in
pressure cans, Free-All and PB Blaster. Both have worked better for me
than Liquid Wrench, and the pressure cans make application in these
difficult areas a bit easier.
   When you get the engine&gearbox assy out in the light, also check the
holes in the clutch forks where the clevis fits. The holes can wear oval,
adding to the slack of the one-piston-crankshaft clevis pin.    TDs have
a lever&bar clutch operating assembly, unlike the hydraulic system of MGA
and MGB. The TD system has one clutch pedal pivot, pedal clevis, rod
clevis, crank hole, crank pivot, crank clevis, another rod, hole, clevis,
then clutch lever with its hole and clevis.   Since all these bits are
exposed to oil and road dirt, the accumulated wear can be impressive and
make for a lot of slack.
   I wonder if today's rear engine mounts are more oil-resistant than the
OEM units. Those I changed in my '72 GT were soft enough to compress with
my fingers, more like dried rubber cement than the new engine mounts.
Bob