MG Midget '74 running too rich

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG Midget '74 running too rich
From: Tim Holt <holtt@nacse.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:58:35 -0700
So my MG has been running way too rich lately.  It seems to be something
that just "started" once upon a time.  Symptoms and notes include...

   - Plugs get fouled (sooty & some are wet).  A new set of plugs lasts
about 60-80 miles before it starts to run rough
   - Some signs of gas coming out of the SU carb fuel reservoir closest
to the pump.  Nothing out of the overflow, but a sort of glaze on the
outside of the can like it came out around the gasket just a bit
   - I took off both reservoir tops and checked floats.  Didn't appear
to be flooded.  Little valves that float pushes on look clean, solid, etc.
   - Can blow in fuel tube and manually lift float and air flow stops
   - Dash pots topped off as should be
   - Carefully removed top of carbs and looked at needles.  Clean and
straight as far as I could tell.
   - Runs great with a new set of plugs in.  First signs of problem is
that it starts to blow some grayish smoke and run rough like it's missing.

So basically it looks like too much fuel - which is why I checked the
floats right off.  But they seem to look fine!  Fuel pump is fairly new
- it's an SU solid state fuel pump (from Moss).

Any suggestions or thoughts here?  I can keep it running by replacing
the plugs every once in a while.  Given the price of gas it's relatively
cheap to do, but it does get a bit old.