Re: Crankshaft pulley removal

To: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crankshaft pulley removal
From: James Harwood <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:58:53 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks Rock
--- Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com> wrote:
> Nope. Don't do that. Check that washer all the way
> 'round. It's supposed to lock the bolt in place.

I think it may have been incorrectly installed by the
PO or his mechanic. The washer is definitely not in
contact with any of the flats of the bolt.

> Can't remember the MG direction of normal rotation,
> but on Minis, you just set a wrench on the bolt and
> engage the starter, which loosens the bolt. If the
> MG engine turns clockwise as seen from the front,
> the method should work.
>
> I lost most of my mail recently, so I'm not sure
> what your situation is. Am I correct in assuming you
> want to remove the bolt that holds the harmonic
> balancer onto the crankshaft without removing the
> engine?

My engine is out of the car on a stand. It has very
little left of #3 piston, and the connecting rod went
through the oil pan.
http://www.jtsms.net/mgb1974/badday.html

So I'm in the process of stripping the engine down
ready to take to a machine shop.

Thanks,
  James
74 MGB (expired)