Re: Vapor Lock?

To: "Paul Root" <ptroot@iaces.com>, <Daybell7@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Vapor Lock?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:03:52 +0100
Vapour lock *can* occur on HSs but only in the tube between float chamber
and jet.  Pressure can't build in the float chamber to keep the float valve
closed as there are two routes open to atmosphere (particularly when the
engine is not running) from the float chamber - the breather vent in the
float chamber cover and the main jet.  Any vapour developing in the main
fuel lines when switched off would be immediately pumped out through the
vent and jet as soon as the ignition as turned on - unless things were so
hot that fuel was vaporising in the lines as fast as it could be pumped!
Given that many MGBs (and other SU-equipped cars) run perfectly happy in
desert states in the USA I'm also convinced that the likelihood of
vapour-lock is much less than people suppose.  It is more likely to be other
problems, which may well be heat-related.

PaulH.